Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventures - Tongariro Alpine Crossing Winter Guided
The Tongariro National Park has Dual World Heritage status and the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is part on the Department of Conservation Great Walk network.
The three andesitic volcanoes, Mt Tongariro (1967m), Mt Ngaururhoe (2291m) and Mt Ruapehu (2792m), are majestic in dominating the National Park.
Intense volcanic activity and retreating glaciers from the ice age have left amazing textures, colours and landscapes on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. You walk pass or through South Crater, Central Crater, Red Crater, North Crater and Te Maari Crater. Te Maari Crater is the latest eruption site in the Tongariro National Park and is still strongly steaming away two and a half years after it’s last eruption.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is also well known for the Emerald Lakes and Blue Lake. In the height of winter, the lakes freeze and turn sparkly white otherwise they are a brilliant emerald and white colour as they freeze or thaw.
For Lord of the Rings fans, part of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing route leads up to the saddle of Mt Tongariro and Mt Ngauruhoe (aka. Mt Doom). From the saddle, views down to the Rangipo desert (aka. Mordor), on far side of the mountains can be viewed before the track crosses over the length of Mt Tongariro.
Adrift has experienced and personable guides who will provide a safe, enjoyable and memorable adventure. They will show you how to use your crampons and ice axes, show you points of interest and get you into this wonderful alpine environment safely. Adrift is Qualmarked, Department of Conservation concessionaires and is an audited Work-safe alpine adventure outdoor provider.
The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is considered one of the best one days walk in the world and it is easy to see why.
Winter Guided Tongariro Alpine Crossing – Adrift Outdoors
- Telephone Adrift the day prior (before 7pm). Ph: 0800462374 or +6478922751
- We’ll advise on the weather
- We’ll confirm the meeting/pick up times as they can vary slightly from the times listed
- National Park Village: 7.30am
- Turangi: 6.45am. Travel time to National Park Village – 40mins one-way
- Taupo: 6am. Travel time to National Park Village – 1.5 hrs one-way
2. Visit the Adrift base in National Park Village on the morning of the trip:
- We’ll check your footwear & clothing so you will be comfortable on the walk. The first $40 of clothing is free, additional items are charged at $10 per item - we have a vast range of outdoor clothing and boots if you require extra gear.
- We’ll fit your crampons
3. Walk the Tongariro Alpine Crossing!
- The walk starts at Mangatepopo (1100 m), and commences at Ketetahi (750m). The highest point on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is Red Crater (1882m).
4. Drive back to National Park Village, Turangi or Taupo
Useful information …
- Trips operate everyday, weather and minimum numbers permitting
- Trips operate in all weather conditions providing the tour is safe. Be prepared for all types of weather conditions (sun, rain, snow, wind, cloud, etc.), or if you prefer better weather day, you can postpone your trip to another date.
- No experience is needed
- We have a 1: 8 guide to client ratio
- A medium level of fitness is required
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is 21kms
- For Winter Guided trips you will need to bring: Lunch, water (1-1.5 litres), personal medications (e.g. Asthma inhaler, blister protection etc), sunscreen, sunglasses, backpack, hiking boots, thermal longs and/or walking trousers & over-trousers, 3-warm top layers (wool, merino, thermals, fleece, soft shell etc. are good layers), waterproof raincoat, warm hat and gloves.
- Crampons and ice axes are provided by Adrift
- Adrift Base is: 3 Waimarino-Tokaanu Road, National Park Village
Please telephone us the day prior (before 7pm), and we will advise on the weather and confirm the meeting/pick up times. Times can sometimes vary slightly from those listed below
- Taupo pick-up: 6am. Travel time one way – 1.5 hours
- Turangi pick-up: 6.45am. Travel time one way – 40mins
- National Park Village meeting time: 7am
Departure from Taupo and Turangi are subject to minimum numbers.
The first $40 of clothing is free, additional items are charged at $10 per item - we have a vast range of outdoor clothing and boots if you require extra gear.