Glowing Adventures: 3 hour Glowing Adventures Waitomo Cave Tour
Come and join us for a memorable adventure with guided Waitomo cave eco tours.
Glowing Adventures runs personalised and unhurried walking cave eco tours.
- We run the most personalised and intimate cave tours in the Waitomo district. There will never be more than 6 people per group.
- Our walking cave eco-tours are through completely untouched and beautiful New Zealand scenery. There are no concrete paths or handrails or electric lights!
We are off the beaten tourist track, but still within a short drive of Waitomo Caves Village and the small towns of Te Kuiti and Otorohanga.
- Our tours involve walking up hills, climbing over boulders, and wading through a shallow stream, so a reasonable level of physical fitness is required.
- We provide all the clothing and equipment you will need, as well as a warm shower and a cuppa after the tour.
- Our tours do not involve abseiling or heights or blackwater rafting.
Tours take approximately 3 hours, with at least 2 hours spent underground
Allow 3 hours with at least 2 hours underground. A typical tour is broken down as follows:
- 20-30 minute – safety briefing/getting ready.
- 5-10 minute walk to the cave.
- 10-15 minute walk through native New Zealand bush and the scenic Mangapu gorge, to become accustomed to the rough terrain before entering the caves.
- 1.5 hours in Mangarongapu Cave, including three glow worm displays.
- 30 minutes in Lime Cave (dry cave), viewing unique cave formations not seen in most other Waitomo caves.
- 10 minute bush walk back to office/house.
- Allow extra time for a shower/change and tea/coffee with light refreshments.
Where are we?
Your adventure can be found on Oparure Road in the Waitomo District, approximately 20 minutes drive from Waitomo Caves Village and 15 minutes from Te Kuiti. Note if you are coming from the North (e.g. from Otorohanga) that we are on Oparure Road, not Waitomo Caves Road. You will pass the intersection with Waitomo Caves Road (Highway 37) but don’t take it — keep going straight and you will see Oparure Road a little further on.
Note: This is a self-drive location. We do NOT provide transport. There is also no public transport available to and from our tour.