Rapu (New Zealand Surf & Snow Tours) - 2 Day Surf Tour
For beginners who are new to the sport of surfing, or for those who have given it a go once or twice, we can provide you with the total surf experience! We will work with you to master your ‘pop up’, giving you the knowledge and confidence to get in the water and catch your first wave. We also know the importance for you to understand the dynamics and dangers at surf beaches so we will provide a detailed explanation of rips, ocean dynamics, surf safety and surfing rules.
- Return transport from central Auckland to a suitable West coast or East coach beach – we will go wherever the conditions are best for learning on the day
- 4 x 2 hour surf lessons
- Surfboard and wetsuit hire
- Surf safety
What to Bring:
- Lunch or money to buy food on the way to the beach. We will always offer to stop at a Bakery if required
- Sunscreen and lip balm – These are essential! You will need to re-apply regularly throughout the day.
- Swim wear
- Pocket money
- We will pick you up from one of our central city locations. The pick-up time is dependent on the tides each day – you will be advised of this once you book and choose your location.
- We will then head out to the beach with the best conditions to learn to surf on that day. Usually it is out to Piha Beach on the west coast, due to the consistency of the surf, but we will go to any beach within 1 hour 45 mins on either the east or west coast. The radius of operation from Auckland City is indicated on the map.
- The journey to the beach will take you through picturesque countryside and, if you haven't brought lunch with you, we can stop for you to grab food and drink so you have the energy you will need for a “full on” day.
- When we get to the beach we will run through the dynamics of the beach and explain the hazards and conditions of the day, there you learn about rip currents, how to recognise them and understand why and where we will be surfing.
- The boards that we have are the best to help you learn. We will give you your wetsuits so you can change, apply your sunscreen and then you will be ready to head on to the beach to continue your first lesson. Once on the beach you will learn about your surfboard, how to control it, how to safely go out into the water and catch a wave...and then ultimately stand up and ride your wave to the beach! If you are more advanced we will tailor the tuition to your ability.
- At lunch time we will stop and relax on the beach for a quick break, giving you the chance to eat, apply more sunscreen and have a bathroom stop before heading out for your second lesson. It is now your chance to work on the points raised in the first lesson and really perfect those techniques.
- After a full day of seeking the best waves on offer, learning, challenging yourself, and speaking your newfound surfing “lingo”, a surfed-out you and crew will be heading back to Auckland City content in the knowledge that you have had a better day than those poor souls in the concrete jungle!
- Then we'll do it all again the next day, but this time you can really concentrate on progressing your skills
Peak Season (October - May): Departs most days - time dependent on the tide that day!
Off Peak Season: On request
We have three different general departure times for our tours. The general departure time will depend on the day that you choose to book-in and can be viewed when you check the availability. Your specific pick-up time will be confirmed once we know your preferred location (see above). General departure times are based around the high and low tides in order to ensure you will be learning during the optimal time for the day. General departure times are shown below:
You can self-drive and meet us at the beach or, if you require transportation, we offer multiple pick-up locations around central Auckland. Choose your preferred pick up location from the list below at the time of booking or you can indicate if you would prefer to self-drive. We will confirm your pick-up time once we know your preferred location:
- Nomads Backpackers – 16 Fort St (off Queen Street)
- Sky Tower (in front of the main entrance to the casino by the Rebo cafe)
- YHA, 5 Turner St
- R&R Sport, corner K’ Road & Ponsonby Road