Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland: New Zealand's Most Colourful Geothermal Area, Rotorua New Zealand
Explore New Zealand’s most colourful geothermal area. Named "One of the 20 Most Surreal Places in the World to visit" Trip Advisor View the world famous Champagne Pool, New Zealands largest bubbling mud pool, expansive vistas, huge volcanic craters and sinter terrace formations. ...
Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland-Rotorua New Zealand
Well known as New Zealand’s most colourful and diverse geothermal area and named as "One of the 20 Most Surreal Places in the World" Trip Advisor, Waiotapu has to be seen to be believed.
Thousands of years in the making, this stunning volcanic area is nestled within a natural bush setting. Visitors get the opportunity to walk at their own pace with walks approximatley taking between 30 and 90 minutes. With safety in mind, well identified tracks have been established to blend in with the environment and maximise the viewing of natural features.
The range of unique geothermal activity is extensive and includes huge volcanic craters formed by the ground collapsing over the last 700 years, steaming ground, sinter terrace formations, coloured hot and cold water springs of which the Champagne Pool and Devil’s Bath are world famous. Throughout the reserve there are a number of lookout points that provide an elevated perspective of the environment.
Easily understood information about volcanic activity, fauna and flora within the reserve compliments the comprehensive coloured guide map, which is provided to each visitor. Multiple translations of the guide map are also available.
A short drive from the Visitor Centre is the Lady Knox Geyser the eruption of which is introduced by an informed guide daily at 10.15am. A little further on is New Zealands largest bubbling “Mud Pool” where there is always explosive activity associated with bubbling mud.
The Visitor Centre incorporates a well stocked souvenir area catering for all ages while the Geyser Café provides an excellent range of food and beverages.
The associated Sky Deck provides a covered area of additional café seating with a view into the steaming activity of the main park and the Wai-O-Tapu stream.
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland offers the visitor a truly memorable experience.
- Waiotapu Thermal Wonderland-Geothermal Walk Rotorua New Zealand
- Lady Knox is Geyser Presented daily at 10.15am and is located a short drive in your own car from the visitor centre, we would recommend arriving by 9.30am during summer periods.
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland is a self guided walking tour taking around 30-90 minutes (1.5-3km).
- Known as "New Zealands Most Colourful Geothermal Area" visitors can walk around at their own pace and explore the spectacular nature of the area including the world famous Champagne Pool
- New Zealand's largest bubbling mud pool is a short drive from the visitor centre
- Our First Class Visitor Centre includes cafe and retail facilities
- Open daily at 8.30am-5pm (last admission 3.45pm)
- November-March: 8.30am-6.00pm (last admission 4.45pm)
- Open Christmas Day 8.30am-1pm (last admission 11.45am)
Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
Self Guided Walking Tour may begin anytime durning opening hours (3.45pm last daily admission)
Open everyday including all public holidays
April-October: 8.30-5.00pm (last Daily admission 3.45pm)
November-March: 8.30am-6.00pm(last admission 4.45pm)
Open Christmas Day 8.30am-1pm (last Admission 11.45am)
Lady Knox Geyser is presented daily at 10.15am and is located a short drive in your own car from the visitor centre, we would recommend arriving by 9.30am during summer periods.