Yongala Dive: 2 day/2 night SS Yongala Wreck Dive Package
2 Days / 2 Nights Yongala Wreck Dive
TOUR IS DEPENDENT ON MINIMUM NUMBERS BEING REACHED (4 DIVERS) AS WELL AS WEATHER CONDITIONS.
OPEN WATER DIVERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE DEEP DIVE TRAINING DURING THEIR FIRST DIVE - AU$25 (PAYABLE ON DAY)
- 2 days | 4 dives on the SS Yongala
- 2 night’s accommodation – Dorm Room
- Breakfast – cereal, toast, orange juice, tea or coffee
- Fresh fruit, snacks, cordial and water on boat
- BBQ Lunch at our Dive Centre
- Shower available
What to bring:
- Certification Cards
- Suntan lotion, jumper
- Divers with "own gear" must have a dive computer, safety sausage and whistle or additional cost applies, tanks and weights provided
- 6 dives minimum
- BCD size (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL)
- Diver certification level (certification card must be shown on the day)
- Number of dives
- Date of last dive
- Open water divers are required to undertake deep dive training during the 1st dive, option to upgrade to the PADI Deep adventure dive (to give additional knowledge) on purchase of a manual. A medical statement must be completed - if divers are taking medication/have any medical conditions which might prevent them from diving, they must call us to discuss this in advance.
- Other divers with less than 20 dives will be provided with a FREE dive guide (if not dived during last 6 months will need to complete a scuba review the day prior)
In 1911 (over 100 years ago) it sank without a trace in a tragic cyclonic event, all 122 passengers died. It was another 50 years before the coral encrusted structure was found creating one of Australia's most intriguing maritime mysteries. Today it is one of the world's renowned dive sites and an exciting dive adventure.
Lying in 14-28 metres of water and 109m long it is the largest and most intact historic shipwreck in Australian waters. The enchanted wreck is now an artificial reef with an incredible array of marine life - giant Queensland groupers hang beneath the stern, giant rays and schools of trevally, barracude and mangrove jacks congregate around the wreck. Turtles, sea snakes, eagle rays and clown fish are just some of the other incredible life.
This is a diving experience for those with a sense of adventre, a passion to explore, to learn about the tragic history and witness life matched by few others on the face of the planet - it will stay in your memory forever!!!
The boat will be moored in open water due to the location of the wreck - surface conditions may be choppy with moderate currents. Please ensure passengers purchase seasickness medication prior to arrival. The dive shop does sell Travelcalm for $2 for 1 tablet.
2 Day 2 Night Yongala Wreck
07:30 Check-in at Dive Centre in Alva Beach (paperwork, payments, dive equipment)
08:00 Dive Brief in garden
08:30 Depart for beach in 4WD to Yongala (2 certified dives - 1 hour surface interval)
01:30 Return to beach and 4WD back to Dive Centre
02:00 BBQ Lunch served at the Dive Centre
03:00 Finish for day
Day trip is weather dependent, important to call us between 4:00pm and 5:00pm to confirm trip and departure time
From: Alva Beach
Check-in: 7:30 am Daily (times can change due to currents or weather)
Dive Shop: Return to lodge at approximately 2:00 pm (times can change due to currents or weather)
Finishes: Guests are generally departing at approximately 3:00 pm
Pick Ups/Drop Offs:
Location: Ayr Bus Station, Ayr
Time: 10.30 pm and 3:25 pm
(Passengers travelling outside of these times will need to contact Burdekin Taxis 07 4783 2244. With an approx cost of $55.00)
$22 Reef tax and mooring fees (per person per day)
Open Water Divers
Open Water divers will be required to undertake Deep Dive Training to make them eligible to dive to 30m on the day. This will be an additional fee of $25.00. All divers undertaking training must complete a PADI Medical Statement. If they answer YES to any of the questions in the medical statement, they will be required to have a Medical Clearance from a Doctor approving them to dive.
Open Water divers can upgrade from the Deep Dive training to the PADI Deep Adventure Dive during their first dive by purchasing the Adventures in Diving Manual and completing an assessment. This will be an additional fee of $90 (manual and training).